So here’s the scene in my house at about 5:30 pm:
- My son is running around the living room, diving into pillows, because no matter how much exercise he’s gotten that day, he needs more.
- If he happens to be calm because we just came in from playing outside, he wants to play on the floor. With me.
- My seven-week-old needs her bath, like NOW, because this time of evening is her last “awake window” before she begins to go back and forth between awake and asleep, and then finally falls asleep for the “night” around 9:00 pm.
- Once she’s had her bath, she wants to play on the floor. With me.
So, it’s almost impossible for me to stand by the stove and cook anything. It’s childcare central. Consequently, unless I’ve started dinner in the crockpot or put something in the oven during naptime, I’m totally screwed. And although my husband is completely understanding if I don’t have dinner prepared, I still would like to have something warm and yummy for him to eat.
Now, if I do manage to put together a meal, I usually remember the protein and the vegetable, but forget the grains. Most nights I look through my cabinets, trying to find some side dish to put with my meal, and usually come up empty-handed. Potatoes and rice take forever to cook anyway…right?
Apparently not. There’s an awesome product for busy cooks called Minute Rice. Can it be true? Rice in just minutes?
At the store I found two alternatives, white and brown rice. Because my husband prefers white rice, I went with that. (I tried serving brown rice to him once, and he just scoffed at me.) The product boasts that you can have great-tasting, fluffy white rice in just 5 minutes with Minute White Rice. They also explain that if you like the nutty, rich flavor of brown rice, Minute 100% Whole Grain Brown Rice is a delicious, healthy option, as it has the same nutritional value as regular, long-cooking brown rice, but is ready in just 10 minutes—just 1/4 of the time of regular brown rice.
So, that night, I tried it out. And since I’m trying to lose the baby weight, I went with what looked to be a delicious, low-calorie Weight Watchers recipe of apple/cranberry/tomato chicken curry. What makes this recipe healthy? Glad you asked. No added salt, sauteed chicken, and one fruit and one vegetable in the curry! And just in case you’re looking for a new, healthy quick meal to try, I included the recipe at the bottom of this post.
The actual process of cooking took about thirty minutes.
And the final product? Delicious! The rice cooked in the microwave in 8 minutes and came out fluffy, and a bit sticky, just how we like it. And the best part? I didn’t have to think about it. I just measured out rice and water, put it in the microwave and let it cook. Awesome.
Want more recipe ideas for Minute Rice? Visit www.minuterice.com for over 400 recipe ideas and more information about the Minute Rice family of products.
Curried Chicken with Dried Cranberries, taken from “Weight Watchers: Simply the Best” (1997).
- 4 boneless chicken cutlets
- Olive oil
- 1 or 2 onions
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tsps ground cumin, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 14 1/2 oz can of no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 diced apples
- 1/2 cup of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
1. Heat the oil in a skillet or Dutch oven. Add the chicken and cook until almost cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Add onions and cook, stirring often.
2. Add garlic, cumin, turmeric, coriander, ginger and pepper flakes, stirring constantly until fragrant; about 30 seconds.
3. Add tomatoes, apples, broth and cranberries. Bring to a boil.
4. Return chicken to skillet, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through.
5. Serve with Minute Rice!
Minute® Rice is so quick and easy to prepare and is great pantry staple. When meal time seems like a hassle, Minute® Rice is a go-to ingredient your whole family will love and allows you to have more quality time doing what your want with your loved ones.
Leftover rotisserie chicken or veggies from a meal earlier in the week? Minute® Rice can easily be paired with some of your leftover ingredients to make a quick, easy and wholesome meal your whole family will love in just a matter of minutes.
Visit http://www.minuterice.com/ to create a great main meal or side dish for your next family get-together or potluck.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Minute® Rice.